Whether you want to live, work, or go to school in Canada, you have likely encountered the need for establishing permanent residency.
To enjoy the benefits of becoming a Canadian Citizen, you will need to complete:
- A Canadian citizenship application
- English or French proficiency test or prove you are attending or attended a Canadian educational institution
- Provide all necessary documents to prove your eligibility
Who is Eligible for Canadian Citizenship?
Before applying for your Canadian citizenship, you must first meet certain eligibility requirements set forth by the Canadian government. The requirements have changed and have been updated in the Canadian Citizenship Act.
An individual applying for Canadian citizenship must:
- Physically live in Canada and prove permanent residency status for three years within the previous five-year period, prior to the submission of their citizenship application.A half-day credit per physical calendar day is awarded up to a total of 365 days for individuals that lived, studied or worked in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person within the five years prior to applying for citizenship
- Demonstrate their ability to speak and understand English or French through a testing process. This process does not apply to applicants that are 65 years of age or older or minor children that are seeking citizenship
- Utilize their English or French language skills to provide acceptable levels of knowledge related to Canada and concerning the responsibilities and privileges of citizens within the country. This is completed through a testing process. Individuals that are 65 years of age or older are exempt from this process
- Be at least 18 years of age or older to apply for Canadian citizenship for themselves or minor children
- Meet all Income Tax Act requirements set up through the Canadian government. Any income tax which is owed must be paid in full before a citizenship application will be processed
Contact Canadian Immigration Group online, or by phone at (780) 444-2844 or toll-free at (855) 944-2844 to learn more.
This will give you the opportunity to gain a better understanding of the Canadian citizenship requirements and provide you with all updated standards that must be met at the time of your application submission.
Canadian Citizenship Application Process
Once you have met the citizenship eligibility requirements, you can move on to the application process.
If you are applying for citizenship for yourself, your child, or a minor under the age of 18 years old, you will need to submit the appropriate application and all necessary documentation is required for your Canadian citizenship to be considered for processing.
There are six different application packages available:
- An adult 18 years of age or older that is applying for themselves
- A parent or guardian that is applying for a minor child under the age of 18
- Minors under the age of 18 years old that are applying for themselves and do not have Canadian parents or guardians
- An adult that is 18 years of age or older who has served in the Canadian Armed Forces or other acceptable government position
- Individuals that have been adopted by a Canadian citizen
- A stateless person that is born to a Canadian parent
Each application includes the necessary forms that must be submitted as well as complete instructions for doing so. Contact Canadian Immigration Group to ensure that your application is complete prior to submission.
Costs and Fees for Applying for Canadian Citizenship
The fees that are required when you apply for your citizenship in Canada depend on the type of application you submit as well as your status when applying. The following list of fees is updated and reflect the latest changes that have been adopted by the Canadian government.
- Adult applications that are 18 years of age or older are required to pay a processing fee of $530 CAD as well as a Right of Citizenship fee of $100 CAD
- Stateless adults that are 18 years or older and have been born to Canadian parents must pay a Right of Citizenship fee of $100 CAD at the time of application submission
- Minors under the age of 18 are required to pay an application fee of $100 CAD for processing costs
To better understand the different fees that are in place for earning your Canadian citizenship, contact Canadian Immigration Group online today, or by phone at (780) 444-2844 or toll-free at (855) 944-2844. Our experience will help you avoid simple errors that occur far too often in citizenship applications.